Homeschoolers Beware: School District asks Homeschoolers to take new state test. Warning this is part of the Common Core agenda.
We (Christian Homeschool Network of WA) have received numerous reports from homeschoolers in the Spokane area. Many have received a letter from the Central Valley school district inviting them to participate in the 2014 Spring Smarter Balanced assessments. The letter is dated February 13, 2014 and is addressed to: Parents of Homeschool Students.
CHN finds the actions of this school district very alarming and all homeschoolers in the state need to be aware of this situation-your school district may be next. This is a clear example of school officials not being informed of our homeschool laws and not respecting them either.
First, they are misusing the information from our DOI form to promote their agenda. The Smarter Balanced assessments are a key component to the implementation of the public school’s latest education reforms called Common Core (CCSS). The foundation of the CCSS is the statewide databases being created to track children from preschool to age 20 (CEDARS, P20).
- One parent who received the letter has never been enrolled in the school district nor has used any of their services either. We can only surmise that the school district got their information from the Declaration-of-Intent form. This is a violation of state law RCW 28A.320.092 that prohibits school districts from using information from the DOI form to advertise and market their programs.
- Homeschool students are exempt from education reforms CCSS. There is also no reason to include homeschoolers in the statewide student tracking databases. The reason given for these databases is to provide data for state and federal accountability.
- RCW 28A.200.010(1)(c), requires homeschoolers to use a standardized academic achievement test, WAC 180-52-070 clarifies that the test must be approved by the State Board of Education, and have been evaluated by Buros. The Smarter Balanced test does not meet these requirements.
- The letter also states that “no results will be given to the state, schools or students”. RCW 28A.200.010(1)(b) requires the test scores to be included in the student's record.
- Warn all homeschoolers you know, if they think taking the Smarter Balanced test provided by their local school will fulfill this part of the HBI law, they have been misled and will find themselves out of compliance with the law.
- If you live in the Central Valley school district write them and express your concerns with the letter they sent out, using information from your DOI form for marketing purposes and ask to be removed from their mailing lists.
Please contact us if you hear of this happening in other school districts.
CHN … Your Homeschooling Voice in Olympia!
CHN is legislative liaison to Christian Heritage Home Educators
© 2014 CHN all rights reserved. Permission to copy and distribute if copied in its entirety, or contact CHNOW.
If you support the work of the Christian Homeschool Network, please join us